[windows2000] Exchange 2000/Active directory and DL's

  • From: "Costanzo, Ray" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:13:01 -0400

Hi list,

We just upgraded to Exchange 2000 and a Windows 2000 domain a few weeks ago,
and now we're looking to use the Active Directory to maintain dynamic
distribution lists on the Exchange Server.  I'm imaging this is possible.
What I mean by this is we would like to set up a distribution list that
would work the same way "views" work in SQL Server, in that the distribution
list is actually a query on the Active Directory.  Like, if I wanted a
distribution list called "Vice Presidents" the DL itself would actually be a
query that is executed against the AD that would return all users with
[Title]='VP' or something along those lines.

I'm just imagining that this is possible in Exchange/Windows 2000 since that
seems to be part of the whole point of having the Active Directory database.
In my searches on Google and Microsoft, I found a few links for "Exchange
2000: The Ultimate Guide to AutoDL" but the links are dead.  Damn it!  I
also looked around slipstick.com, and while I see that there's a page about
distribution lists, I did not see anything that covered what I'm looking to
do.  If anyone can point me in a direction, that would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Ray at work

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com