[windows2000] Re: Disabling Netbios over TCP/IP?

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:19:25 +0200

Sorin Srbu <mailto:sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Wednesday, April 04,
2007 3:26 PM:

Ok, after some more googling I found this reg-file:

---
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters\Interfa
ces\Tcp_{<Interface GUID>}\]
"NetbiosOptions"=dword:0 (to use DHCP settings)
"NetbiosOptions"=dword:1 (to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP)
"NetbiosOptions"=dword:2 (to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP)
---

However now the problem is that the tcp-{interface-GUID} is probably different
on every single computer... Any idea on how to do this, either for all NICS
found in a system or the "primary" NIC?

Also found this vb-script, but am not sure how to interpret it:

---
' From the book "Windows Server 2003 Networking Recipes"

' This code enables NetBIOS over TCP/IP
' ------ SCRIPT CONFIGURATION ------
strComputer = "."

Const DEFAULT = 0
Const ENABLED = 1
Const DISABLED = 2
' ------ END CONFIGURATION ---------

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
 & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set nics = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
 ("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE IPEnabled = True")

For Each nic in nics
  intNetBT = nic.SetTCPIPNetBIOS(ENABLED)
  If intNetBT = 0 Then
    WScript.Echo "Success! NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled!"
  ElseIf intNetBT = 1 Then
    WScript.Echo "Success! NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled, please reboot."
  Else
    WScript.Echo "Error! Unable to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP."
  End If
Next
---

All that happens when I run the script is that it pops up a few squares with
"netbios enabled!" I don't want it to enable it, quite the contrary. I gues
that the several popups is because I have several NIC:s in the test system.
Otherwise it seems to work, ie it enables netbios over tcp/ip.

Is it enough if I change "intNetBT = nic.SetTCPIPNetBIOS(ENABLED)" to
"intNetBT = nic.SetTCPIPNetBIOS(DISABLED)". My knowledge with vb-scripting is
weak...

Also, if I don't want the popups, what would I remove from the script? The
"Wscript.echo..."-thingies?

Thx for your help in advance. 8*}