[windows2000] Demoting one of my DC's is taking a long time

  • From: "Rod Falanga" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients:;
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:46:45 -0700

We have a small network of 7 Windows 2000 Servers, 5 of which are domain =
controllers.  I am trying to demote one of the DC's (which also happens =
to be our DHCP server, but I don't think that will hurt.  I hope I'm =
correct about that.) =20

Anyway, dcpromo has been cooking now for a little over 2 hours.  It goes =
about trying to replicate changes to the other DC's in the network, and =
then it will stop with a New Credentials dialog box that says this:

************

"The operation failed because the attempt to configure the machine =
account OLDDC$ on server <different-DC-server>.company.com failed.  =
'Access is denied'.

Specify an account with Enterprise Administrator privileges to the =
forest 'company.com'."

************

And then there are three labels with three textboxes, one for the =
username, and another for the password and the third for the domain.  As =
I indicate in the text of the dialog box, the DC server that the failure =
occurs on does change, leading me to think that it might be working OK.  =
The server changes to each of the different DC's in the network.  But it =
IS taking quite a long time and it keeps going back to DC servers that =
it has already gotten this error message on.

I'd like to know if this is normal and to be expected, or if I've got a =
problem?

=A0
Rod=20