[windows2000] Re: DFS?

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:21:57 -0400

My problems were with DFS replicas.  I found that, if you created a DFS
replica, and two different users happened to get the same document from
different locations, that one user would inevitably lose their changes.

But frankly, I didn't expect anything else to happen... I only got to the
"test" phase before I dropped the replica idea.  I knew ahead of time that
it wasn't going to effectively "load balance" for me.  But, for read only
data (like our PDF document store, which only three people manage), I found
that replicas work excellently.

But I am only really using DFS to simplify things for my users, so they
don't have to know which file server is which.  Now they know to just look
under on location if they are looking for data...

DFS has made their lives easier, which in turn means less support calls to
me.  That is a good thing...

So I guess, YES, I would recommend DFS, as long as you aren't trying to use
it as a poor-man's load-balancing for writeable data.

What were you looking into DFS for?

HTH!

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.