[windows2000] Re: Computer slows when copying many or big files

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:14:20 +0200

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 06:05:54 -0700 (PDT), foofaraw in the middle
wrote:

>I have a master and a slave drives connected to the same ribbon cable with no
>problem such as the one you are having.

You don't see any slowdown at all, when doing copy operations as
below??

BTW, I don't use scsi-drives.

>>Using win2k pro sp3 with dma-enabled, the computer still slows down
>>near-to being unusable whenever I copy many or big files either to
>>another hd/partition or to a network drive. It behaves just like
>>the win9x-boxes I have at home (slow and preemptive
>>singletasking...)!
>>
>>The mobo on the computer concerned is a msi ms-6380 (flashed with
>>the latest bios available), with 512M 266MHz-certified mem-modules,
>>an amd t-bird/1400, all (two) hds are at least uata/100, and I run
>>ntfs on them. The via chipset-drivers are the latest version to
>>(v4.40(a)p3).
>
>I think I solved it myself. Both hds were connected to the same
>channel (ie same cable), as master and slave. After adding another
>cable and connecting the former slave-hd to the 2nd channel (and
>jumpering it as a master)everything seemed to run a lot smoother.
>Also the ATAPI DMA Support-tool from MS reports that both channels
>are active and use DMA.

BW,

               Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Email: sorin.srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
# Department of Medical Chemistry,              Web: http://www.farmaci.uu.se
# Division of Organic Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Phone: +46-18-471-4482 >> 5
signals >> GSM
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University              Cell Phone: +46-701-718023
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Fax: +46-18-471-4474
#                                       Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.