[windows2000] Can't delete a folder

  • From: "Ray Costanzo" <rcostanzo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Windows 2000 List" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 07:47:16 -0400

Hi list,

I have a folder that I cannot delete from a W2K machine.  I believe it has a
character in the name that is causing the problem, but I can't figure out
what the character is. (It's not a reserved name.  The name of the directory
is "How Did I Get Here."  The folder was created by a program that creates
folders based on album names, and this album name has a ? at the end, so I
reckon it attempted to put a ? in the name and messed up something.)  Any
attempt to remove the directory in Windows Explorer gives the "Cannot delete
file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." error.  Any attempt to
delete from the command prompt gives the "The system cannot find the file
specified." error.

I've used the cmd trick in the past of referencing the object by
\\.\drive:\path <file:///\\.\drive:\path> , but that also gives the same
error.  Can't rename it or anything either.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Ray at work