[windows2000] Along the lines of the SVCHOST.EXE problem.

  • From: Daryl Ehrenheim <d.ehrenheim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:05:57 -0800

I have a problem with one of our users who is experiencing this problem:

Works in AutoCAD and when he goes from a regular page view to a white paper
space, where he can zoom in or out, the computer freezes every 10 seconds or
so for about 5 - 10 seconds. When he disconnects his PC from the network,
all is back to normal and can work in the paper space without freezing. Now,
I checked his machine to see if there was some rogue process that was
running when his machine would freeze, but found that the CPU usage would go
to 0 and System Idle Time would be at 99%. This seemed odd. I do not have
any ideas as to what the problem might be and why he is the only one in the
area experiencing this problem. Here is the software he is running:

AutoCAD 2000i
Windows XP SP1 w/ available updates applied.
Office XP 2003 Basic and Powerpoint 2003
Symantec Corporate Edition Anti-Virus

He likes to tinker with his desktop and has a non-standard theme. I have
Adaware, Spybot S&D, HijackThis and Lspfix on his machine and found nothing
out of the ordinary. I even went to the normal default Blue desktop theme
with no luck. The wiring might be alittle shaky, but he tells me that he has
no problem when he gets there early in the morning until people start
arriving and logging in. Any ideas would be greatly apreciated. I am going
to that office on Friday and would like to have some kind of idea for him.

Thanks,

Daryl S. Ehrenheim
Bargreen Ellingson IT Support