[windows2000] Re: Adding additional groups to local admin group

  • From: Paul Simon <PSimon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:46:39 -0500

You da man!

-----Original Message-----
From: Sullivan, Glenn [mailto:GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 6:07 AM
To: 'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: [windows2000] Re: Adding additional groups to local admin group

Yup...

Stick the machines in question into an OU, and then create a new GPO and
link it to that OU.

Then, in that OU, navigate to Computer Configuration\Windows
Settings\Security Settings\Restricted Groups.

Right click in the right pane, and choose "Add Group"

Don't browse, but type "Administrators"

When it is created, Add members to it.

Make sure you add "<Domain>\Domain Admins" and "Administrator" (the default
members of the local admins group) otherwise these will be removed when the
GPO propagates.

Also, if I may suggest, create a Global Group, add the PT Employee's
accounts to that group, and then add that group to the local admins group
via GPO.  Then, to maintain in the future, all you have to do is add or
remove from the global group, and it will "flow downhill."

Hope this helps,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.