Re: increasing the station to 6000 streams

  • From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 03:01:03 -0400

Hi Bob,

To change the number of streams in the Winamp Library:

1.  Run Winamp and press control + P to bring up the preferences tree view;
2.  Press the letter M to move to the Media Library Branch of the tree view;
3.  press shift + tab to move to the multi-page tab control for this branch
and use the left and right arrow keys to make sure that the Internet
Radio/TV control tab is selected (this is the important one that many people
miss);
4.  tab four times until you hear "Internet Radio/TV options - maximum
number of streams to fetch from directory:"
5.  you are in an edit field which is highlighted.  Type in the number of
streams (I now recommend 7000) you wish to have loaded, and then press enter
to close the dialogue and tree view.

Note: if you are using a slow connection, the downloading of such a large
number of listings may take several minutes.  You will see in the status
line of Winamp something like: "downloading directory listings, please wait"
and then a bite count.

When the file is done loading, viewing the status line will tell you the
number of streams available as well as the number of listeners.

BTW, you can indeed do custom searches for music types in this library and
limit your number of streams in this manner.  For example, if you type
oldies in the search box and then press refresh, the list that is retrieved
may show only a few hundred listings rather than more than 6000.  This
obviously makes browsing lists for specific music much easier.

In my opinion, The Winamp Library makes having Winamp as a primary player a
big plus.  While it is true that there is much more available streaming
audio on the web, a total of 6000 plus all located in one very accessible
place is certainly a good start.