admin, ***important*** subject lines on this list

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:45:03 -0500

        Hi everyone
Ok, it's me with the moderator hat on once again.  I've noticed lately that
some people are, possibly without knowing it, using some very confusing
subject lines to the list.  It really is important to choose a good
subject  line so you can grab people's attention.                       Ok so
you're asking
yourselves, what's a good subject line and what's a bad one?
Well, at least in my opinion, a good subject line is very specific about
the question or problem without going overboard.  A bad subject line says
absolutely nothing about your post and is very non-specific.

An example of a good subject line would be something like:
Winamp 5.04 and the SQR Crossfader
or, JAWS 5.0 and Winamp 5.04 not cooperating with each other
or possibly, Winamp 5.04 and the audiostocker plugin

in the above examples, I named the version of Winamp being used, that's
always hellpful, but not necessarily an absolute rule.    Also I named the
screenreader being used, because the question is about that.  It lets the
person reading the message know, exactly what's going on, and the body of
the message can expand on your subject line and make it more clear if possible.

Ok, so what's an example of a bad or non-informative subject line?  Well,
lets say that you have a question about the list's website, and the mp3 pro
plugin. You don't quite know how to phrase the questions so you use a
subject line of: 2 strange questions
Well, that doesn't help anyone, because you're not being specific about
what's going on. People are very likely to skip over that one because it's
pretty non-specific. and a subject line of Urgent help needed! or help
please! will never get good results either.  When you write a subject line
like that, people are more likely to delete your message out of hand.  You
might be panicking at the time, but it's ok. Sit back, chill for a few
minutes and try to get a better handle on what it is you're trying to
explain to everyone.  I'm not gonna throw any of you in list jail for any
of this, I'm just suggesting that people try to make the subject lines a
little more informative, so as to help your fellow list members and
moderators out a bit so we can better answer your question so you can get a
good solid answer and get on with what you need to do.  After all that's
why the list is here, to help folks get a grasp on Winamp and all the
wonderful things it can do.

Ok, I'm now taking the list hat off and handing it back to another
moderator, possibly Rob or Shannon who may need it for future use, but
hopefully not.

Thanks.