Re: Radio stations

  • From: "Marty Rimpau" <mrimpau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:27:16 -0700

        Hi Penny, the only way you would be able to save a station so
that it will play in winamp is to first have winamp being the player
that the stream calls to play it, based upon the file types which are
selected, so, keep that in mind when saving which ever radio stations
you save.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:20:41 -0700, Marty Rimpau wrote:

Hi Penny, as far as I know, files with the .asx extension will not play
in winamp, and the .asf file extension was included some versions back,
but it doesn't work, so I have unchecked the .asf file type in
preferences under file types, so I guess you'll have to use media
player to play .asx files.
On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 07:50:56 -0500, Penny Golden wrote:

         I have a huge list of stations with the ASX extension and
they allow me to save them and I play them in my windows media player.

But I do not know how to get winamp stations to play; I don't know
how to save their links or how to get them to play.   I know this is
silly on my part. but the winamp ASX things just seemed to come
naturally; and now I'd like to expand to things that can only be
played in winamp, but do not know how.
Maybe it's because I don't know how to use winamp hardly at all.
I used to get to their radio thing and there were some stations, but
most of them were horrid.  I am very old, Victorian, etc.  So I like
classical music, old stuff, and Christian radio that is not
contemporary.
Help appreciated as to how to use winamp. if it is too difficult to
explain, I'll gladly call someone or let him or her call me for a
little go round.
Penny
At 03:05 AM 9/30/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Jim
>
>If it's a live stream, as in something that is being streamed as it
>happens, you won't be able to rewind it unfortunately.
>Now, if you're  listening to an archived program, in other words if
>it's a file on the internet that can be streamed, but it's not being
>broadcasted live as it happens, then yes you might be able to,
>depending on the file and how the server is set up.
>I hope I explained that ok?  As for Old time radio stations, you
>absolutely can not go wrong with
>  AM 1710 Antioch OTR which is at
>
>http://radio.macinmind.com
>That station uses an mp3 stream, but the really strange thing is
>that lately, it streams at 16k hertz, and 24k, which sometimes gives
>it a weird sound with some soundcards, but since it's OTR the
>quality doesn't have to be too high.
>I think the owner of the station lowered the bitrate to 16 k to
>allow for as many listeners as possible. It really is a great
>station so give it a try.
>
>As for downloading shows, give
>http://archive.org
>  a try. Go to the site, click on radio programs and you can search
> around.  All the files are in mp3, at least all the ones I have
> are, so you should have no trouble.  I've downloaded about 5 gigs
> worth of stuff from it so it has a huge collection!
>and hey, as long as your question involves the use of Winamp, it is
>very much on topic so you're doing great.  Hope that helps.
>

>At 07:29 PM 9/29/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Well, two questions really. First, if I play a stream, can I rewind
>>it with Winamp? I'm thinking specifically of the old time radio
>>stuff on ACB. Second, would someone please be kind enough to point
>>me to some old time radio content to listen to or download? Private
>>email is OK if I was off topic. If so, my apologies and I'll be
>>more careful next time.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Jim
>>

>>__________ NOD32 2559 (20070929) Information __________
>>
>>This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
>><http://www.eset.com>http://www.eset.com

>To unsubscribe from this mailing list, please send a message to:
>the subject line.
>Archives located at:
>//www.freelists.org/archives/winamp4theblind>
>the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list
>directly. Instead, please contact
>the list owners at winamp4theblind-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

or