Re: Plug-Ins and Radio Stations

  • From: Reg Webb <reg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:06:17 +0000

Hi Sharonda

My understanding is that the Tara plug in plays Real content, IE Real
Audio stuff, for which the streaming equivalent of the .PLS file that
Shoutcast uses, is .RAM.  Since Tara is no longer being developed,
support for these files is limited.  Basically, if it works for the
streams you want to listen to, then you're lucky, and that's fine.  If
not There's Real Alternative, or Real Player itself, both of which are
obviously beyond the scope of this list.

As to Windows Media streamed content, Winamp has a problem with the .ASX
and .ASF files which are the WM equivalent of .PLS.  I don't know what
that problem is.  There is a work around.  You can either just use
Windows Media Player, or Media Player Classic, or you can extract the
source of the actual audio files, which have a .WMA extension from the
URLs of the stations (See Aman's excellent posts on this).  It's not for
the faint hearted, but it works.  The only reason why people download an
older version of Winamp's plug in for playing .WMA files is that it has
less restrictions imposed by Microsoft on what other plug ins you can
use with it.

I hope that's less rather than more confusing.

Reg

In message <20041129135323.14746.qmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Sharonda Greenlaw <sbgreenlaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

--