Re: Info on Ogg-Casting?

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 01:17:57 +0200

Hi,

Thanks very much for the info.

Can showcast handle .ogg and can an .ogg stream be connected to a server that normally transmits showcast streams that are broadcast in mp3?

so in other words, is .ogg casting an alternative to an mp3 stream or is it either or?

cheers,

Doris

At 05:24 PM 8/20/2005 -0500, you wrote:

hi. I waited a day or so to see if anyone would answer this one. Nobody has, so here you go.
go to
http://www.icecast.org
and pick up a copy of the icecast 2 win 32 server. Not sure which build number it is, but you should be able to find the most recent version.
Download it and install it just as you would any other windows program and it'll install.
The setup is very much like that of a regular shoutcast server, so if you're not familiar with that, go to the Main Menu Archives Page on the ACB Radio site, and listen to Jonathan Mosen's shoutcast tutorial in 3 parts.
I don't have the exact addresses to download those particular mp3 files, but I'm sure that one of our over 200 list members has that information?
Also, before i forget, you'll need a Winamp plugin to broadcast to the server. 2 good ones are the Oddcast dsp plugin which is available for free, and the Sam Encoders from Spacial Audio which is not but very much worth the cash.

At 12:05 PM 8/19/2005, you wrote:
Hi,

Is there any place on the net where i can find information on what is involved in creating a Winamp stream using .ogg vorbis instead of mp3. I am intersted primarily in bandwidth and such as I have heard that it is possible to create higher quality streams at lower bitrates using the vorbis format whichmakes it possible to even have a stereo stream that dialup users can listen to.

I have no active experience doing broadcasting of any kind thus far.

Cheers,

Doris

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.12/77 - Release Date: 8/18/2005

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.338 / Virus Database: 267.10.13/78 - Release Date: 8/19/2005