RE: CBR and VBR

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aasinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:51:11 -0500

Hi.
        To put it simply, VBR, or variable bit rate, encodes the MP3 file so
that the bit rate increases and decreases throughout the file. Generally,
this increase or decrease is done so that the file, on average, comes up to
a specific predefined bit rate. That is, the more complex the sound you're
encoding, the higher the bit rate. When the sound becomes less complex, the
bit rate becomes lower. This gets you better sounding files with a smaller
size, because the sound that needs a higher bit rate to be rendered more
faithfully is rendered in that higher bit rate while sound that doesn't need
such a high bit rate to be faithfully rendered is compressed in a lower bit
rate. With CBR, or constant bit rate files, everything is encoded at the
same bit rate, whether it needs it for faithful rendering or not. See
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bit_rate
        for a better, and somewhat more detailed, explanation.
        Aman
  inamp4theblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx