[win2kforum] irritating feature!

  • From: "Josh Currier" <josh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Win2kforum" <win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:22:39 -0400

Hello all,
        Here's my issue:

Win2k client nodes on the network.  NTFS server share on the network, one
folder in which contains thousands of >10k files.  The default cluster size
being larger than that creates a significant discrepancy between actual file
size and reported 'size on disk' (which calculates the size of all the
clusters a given file uses, rather than just the file size).  Win2k does the
calculation for this, for example if you view the properties of an NTFS
folder, it shows the actual total size of all the files, as well as the
total size on disk.  This calculation is apparently performed at other
times, such as searching a folder or drive, and slows the search down
considerably.

My users are very unhappy with Win2k for this ONE reason, which I find
rediculous.  So, my ultimate question is: can this 'feature' be disabled?
In 9x and NT4 this was not an issue, and searching is significantly faster
than in Win2k.

TIA.

--Josh Currier.