[win2kforum] Re: Does ICS/Proxy reveal your internal MAC addresses to your ISP

  • From: Matt Neimeyer <mneimeyer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 17:27:40 -0400

One thing I've always wondered... Based on the MAC address is it possible
to tell when kind of device it is? Or simply the manufacturer?

For example, can the MAC be used to differentiate between LinkSys cards and
LinkSys routers?

I could see that if they knew the numbers that range 01-01-01 to 01-01-10
might be known to be routers... Or some similar method.

Matt