[win2kforum] Advanced user management not working properly!

  • From: ggoudr@xxxxxxx
  • To: win2kforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 01 07:50:36 +0300

Hello to every subscriber in this list. I am a new subscriber and I find this
list/group very usefull.

I have a serious problem in Windows 2000 Professional and I need your advice.

Lately I have noticed a strange think happening in User and group management.
When I open any window that brings me to the "Local Users and Groups" snap-in
of the MMC (for example by choosing
Control-Panel->Users and passwords ->advanced(tab) and the Advanced button,
where the MMC with the snap-in
opens) the following strange think happens. When I click on a user (i.e.
"george") the familiar Properites window opens
which includes the information about the user selected (Full Name, Description,
options etc). So far everything is OK.
But when I choos the "Member Of" Tab where the Groups the user is member of are
listed, the only think that appears
is only the faces with the computer icon, but NOT the Group name on which the
user is actually member (I can ony view
that bu issuing the following command in command prompt: net user George where
the "Local Group Membershsips"
line shows all the groups the user is member of (currently the Power Users"
group).

In addition, on the same window (George Properties, "Member Of" TAB) when I
press the "Add.." button to add the
user to another group, or even the Remove button to remove the user from a
group, then the parent application tha
opens this window (MMC in that case) closes down (crashes) with errors
(DrWatchon) preventing me from adding the
user to more groups or removing him from other groups. The same strange crushes
happen for the Group Properties
windows (Example when i click the power users, users or any other group)  and
the names of the member users of the
group are not displayed, but only the icons, when I press the "Add.." or remove
button the program crushes etc.
The same think also happens to the File Sharing Window when I try to set the
permissions for specific users and press
the "Permissions" button and the window titled "Permissions for MyShared
Folder" appears when I press the "Add..." or
"Remove" button the parent program crushes (i.e. the Iexplorer.exe program in
that case from where I did right-click
Sharing in the MyShared Folder!!

I hope you understand what kind of great problem is this for me, and If there
is any way to fix it without having to
re-install Win2k and all applications all over the begining!
The machine is a Intel Celeron 466MHz, 256MB RAM, Abit BH6-II Motherboard and
65GB of hard disks (no memory
problem, hard disk or other hardware problems as you can see). The latest
Service Pack 1 is installed as well as all the
latest Microsoft updates (Critical Updates) untill 2 April 2001.

Please help me as I am very desperate. I have searched all the Web, All the
Microsoft Knowledge Base and Technet
and I found nothing! Any ideas! Help me because I am getting crazy and I cannot
fix this problem with no help from
somebody expert (or even find the CAUSE of this problem). It may be though one
of the 26000 bugs of Windows 2000.

Thanks in advance,

George Goundras,  Greece

P.S. For your information I am logged in as Administrator with full
administrative rights.