[william_cala] Hot News for the Summer!

  • From: "William Cala" <wcala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <william_cala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:18:46 -0400

Hearts_Hands_tree3

Summer Newsletter

July 2013

Summer Greetings to all of our dear friends and supporters of children in
Africa!  We hope you are enjoying the heat (hotter here than in Kenya!!) and
are having a wonderful summer.

Here is what we have been working on since we last communicated:

Kongasis Water Project Completed!!

We are so proud of the dynamite little group of justice seekers at Western
Presbyterian Church in Palmyra.  Over the past year they have raised all of
the funds to start and complete this water project in Kenya.  Villagers once
had to walk miles to polluted streams for their daily water with the risk of
multiple health problems.  Today, the school at Kongasis and the surrounding
community have access to clean water at a very accessible location.  Water
is life and Western Presbyterian has greatly improved the quality of life of
scores of people in Kenya!  Bravo!

Tanks 41

Stage three of the project. Water Purification via a two-stage

Filtering process

Fourth Classroom Building Project Near Completion in Tanzania

We are proud to announce that we are putting the finishing touches on the
fourth classroom building project in Korogwe, Tanzania.  These classrooms
will be for Form V students.  In Tanzania, high school consists of four (4)
Forms (grades),  Forms I,II,III,IV.  Then there are two upper high school
grades, Forms V and VI.  This project is completing the Form V classrooms.
This is a three-classroom unit at Usambara Girls' School.  Joining Hearts
and Hands has built the classrooms for Forms II, III, IV and V.  The first
graduating class (from Form IV) was this past September.  This school is
educating nearly 500 girls.  GIRL POWER to Tanzania!!

DSCN0075

A worker puts finishing touches on Joining Hearts and Hands' Form V

Classrooms at Usambara Girls School in Korogwe, Tanzania

Hannah's Hope Grows and Celebrates Hannah's 25th Birthday!

Hannah would have been 25 on September 13and her parents have a Facebook
Challenge.  Check out this link:   https://smore.com/mg3e.    There may be
some tweaking of the site, but the basics are solid.  The challenge is to
donate $25 for Hannah's 25th birthday in honor of Hannah and the Fairport
Angels to continue with the building and support of Hannah's Hope in Katito,
Kenya!  Let's make Hannah's 25th a real boost to her lovely children in
Kenya!

104_2518

Hannah Louise Congdon-The smile that electrified the world!

Hats off to Oakton Elementary students in Oakton Virginia.  Through the
leadership of their teachers Miss Price, Mrs. Palchah and Mrs. Caggianelli,
the 2nd grade classes raised over $1000 for Hannah's Hope!

Cudos to Linda Lawrence of Bella Beads who has once again raised funds for
Hannah's Hope by making and selling the gorgeous Hearts for Hannah this past
June.  Linda, you are amazing!!! Find her stunning work here:

http://www.lindasbellabeads.com/

Community Champions

Joanne and I were honored to be the keynote speakers at the first annual
Rochester Community Champions event.  Community Champions honors key groups
and individuals who make Rochester a better place to live.  After giving our
talk on Africa, Community Champions surprised us with a $2500 check for
Joining Hearts and Hands.  We can't thank Maria Scalise and the rest of the
organizers including Bryant and Stratton enough.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/661_364869393616451_1300600744_n
.jpg

Bill and Joanne receiving a check from Community Champions for Joining
Hearts and Hands

New Projects This Fall of 2013

Eye Clinic

One of the most successful projects we have organized was last year's eye
clinic where we provided eye glasses for 600 people and 110 cataract
operations for villagers in Butere, Kenya.  Due to the wonderful success of
this clinic, we will organize another this fall.  This project is supported
in part by the wonderful parishioners of Assumption Church in Fairport
through the good works of their Health Ministry.

Homa Bay Health Clinic

In October we will run a community health clinic in the area of Homa Bay,
Kenya. Currently we are sending a large number of children to school from
that area.  The Notre Dame Sisters are helping us organize this huge event.
It is expected to draw thousands of people.  We will be providing medical
exams, antibiotics, vaccines and various medical procedures to this
community.  This health clinic is being sponsored by Erica Bryant and her
husband Rajesh Barnabas.  We all know what a fantastic journalist Erica is,
but she and her husband are even greater humanitarians.  Two thumbs up for
two great individuals!!

Upcoming Events

Musical

Stageworks is doing another musical production benefiting Joining Hearts and
Hands.  Hope to see you there.  Bring the entire family!  Here's the link:

http://www.stageworksroc.org/Broadway.html     Many thanks to Catherine
Yaeger for making this happen!!  Gotta love those Fairport grads!!

Third Annual Rooftop Fundraiser with the Yellow Jackets!

If you have not been to this one, you HAVE to be at the next one!!  A bunch
of the greatest people we know have organized an annual fundraiser held on
the rooftop of a fabulous apartment complex on the corner of Park and Oxford
in the city.  Thanks to Jamie Miller (it is his apartment that is adjoined
to the rooftop), Jim Barilla and his wife Maria, and Ty Lambert for making
the wonderful event happen.  The event will be held again in May.  So why am
I telling you now???  It will be sold out and you don't want to miss the
fabulous entertainment of the Yellow Jackets and the great food and drinks
(There may even be some Kenyan beer on hand!).

For more information, contact Ty Lambert at the address below!

Ty_Lambert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks so much for your continued support!

1.     On line...it's easy! Go to this link:

<https://www.networkforgood.org/donation/MakeDonation.aspx?ORGID2=134317224&;
vlrStratCode=9A8NhIE6VPQixRDsyD9QfHl3U5HzkQJnLnoBZwqm3PMumXauvME/7VN1S6ZqBDh
D> Donate to JH&H through Network For Good

2.      Or you can send a check to:    Joining Hearts and Hands

                   9 Fieldston Grove

                   Fairport, NY  14450

Peace!

Bill and Joanne Cala

www.joiningheartsandhands.org <http://www.joiningheartsandhands.org/>

Joining Hearts and Hands is a 501 ( c )  ( 3 )  All donations are
tax-deductible

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image