[wiaattorneys] Re: Trade Act training Question

  • From: Joseph.L.Bervid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:32:07 -0500

In Iowa we consider OJT to be work training/work relief and excluded from
UC so the individual is eligible for TAA and UC.

"Pomerantz, Jane C.  (GC-LI)" <jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wiaattorneys-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
04/12/2005 10:11 AM
Please respond to
jpomerantz@xxxxxxxxxxx

<wiaattorneys@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"Sauder, Lisa M. (GC-LI)" <lsauder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[wiaattorneys] Trade Act training Question

Have any of you who are involved with Trade Act dealt with the following
issue?
We are getting questions, from the field  relating to individuals in TAA
approved training programs that include periods of time of paid "work
experience" embedded in the training.   Are these claimants eligible for
UC and/or TRA during these weeks of paid work experience?  Is this part of
the "training" or "other scheduled activities", or would these individuals
be ineligible for these weeks (even if only working a limited number of
hours) for the week under the prohibition of payments while on OJT?
Do you see any other issues and solutions?
Thanks JP

Jane C. Pomerantz
Deputy Chief Counsel
Department of Labor & Industry
Phone: 717-787-4186
Fax:     717-787-1303
Wisdom is knowing the right road to take.
Integrity is taking it.

An Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request for individuals with
disabilities.