[whitmanpta] Weekly update for week of February 24, 2014

  • From: Whitman PTA <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:10:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear Whitman Families and Friends,

Thank you for your patience, we hoped that the issue with the eblast has been
resolved.

Here are some events happening at or around the Whitman community.

Vision 20/20 Forum
What Kinds of Schools Do We Want?

Why?
Put on jointly by the Superintendent and the Board of Education, the forum will
focus on three questions: What things are we doing that are working and need to
continue? What can we improve to reach the goals of Vision 2020?  How can we
allwork together to accomplish these goals?

Where?
Mira Mesa High School Media Center, 10510 Reagan Road, San Diego 92126

When?
Monday, March 3 from 7:00-9:00 p.m.  Carpool with a friend, it benefits our
neighborhood when many people come to share their ideas!

The "Vision 20|20 Forums" will be sessions to provide input on what is working,
what could be improved upon, and how will the district and community work
together to accomplish the district's Vision 2020. The answers to these
questions will help chart the course of California's second-largest school
district.

"We are committed to having clear, long-term priorities based on our Vision
2020," said Kevin Beiser, Board of Education President. "We believe that when
our priorities are inspired and informed by our parents, students, employees and
community members, we will have important information for long-range planning
with students at the center."

The "Vision 2020 Forums: What Kinds of Schools Do We Want" series offer parents,
staff, students, and community members an opportunity to give input to the
superintendent and the board members on priorities for our students and schools.

"These forums will yield a clear and collective sense of our district-wide
long-term priorities," said Superintendent Cindy Marten. "We look forward to
continued stakeholder engagement beyond these forums as we work together to
create quality schools in every neighborhood."

Childcare and Spanish translation services will be provided. Attendees are asked
to RSVP by clicking here
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001hjaFIcpGUYVnwm6mi2Ji9bfyY6CP3Mn1A0xp0ttoQuCU2KGSKfCbwqtKVncpdJU29Xd9eLpViFvn1pKDHQx7Y-I_-z3Rv6FG8iiqdqMUGG0xq2LzCE1a82ZUFEKONZ6yjYKK-l47OuKiKJRJ5id93oG38d1vQFm-pP51aeOPGvzvIcHnUlUSxW6W3d9Gj81o-l78HqY7aoKp8fOJpdZmdt0rDN-xIIeSjjSW6gcC3x9GFbSTk30Euy_C5kLyXGdR&c=f3ostUIajmqSJWejGRD5CK6y8KGgVKIE6ABQPR09ACrIp_QIMR4cDg==&ch=DTkJjZsWnYqhe6sbjgFFGzVFTNH1qDJHNd7Fg9MxDrSsuERhb3_XYA==>

Chili's Dine-Out
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
This is an all-day fundraiser event where proceeds from Chili's sales will go to
Whitman PTA provided that patron presents a flyer (flyer will be sent home next
week).  Visit the Whitman PTA <http://www.whitmanpta.com> website to download
the flyer (under upcoming events) that you can send to your family, friends,
co-workers for the Clairemont Square Chili's location only.

Whitman Strings Concert
March 9, 2014, 3 pm
Shiley Theater at University of San Diego
5998 Alcala Park
San Diego, CA  92110
Advance tickets available now!!!!  Show your support of these special students,
tickets are $10 for adults, $8 for seniors, and $5 for students.  Purchase your
tickets at the front office or contact the Whitman Strings Facilitator, Ms. Suzy
Aaberg at saaberg@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:saaberg@xxxxxxxxx> .  You can also visit the
Whitman PTA's website <http://www.whitmanpta.com/>  to see a photo of the
students.

The Whitman Strings is a special performance group consisting of 5th and 6th
grade violin students in the music program at Walt Whitman Elementary School.
 Students volunteer to attend extra rehearsals, memorize their music and
participate in special performances. The Whitman Strings is under the direction
of Ms. San San Blain, strings teacher with San Diego Unified School District.
What makes this group unique is that half of these students have “normal”
hearing and half of them are deaf or hard-of-hearing.

Whitman elementary school is the SDUSD designated school site for children with
hearing loss who are learning to communicate through listening and spoken
language instead of sign language. There are approximately 80
deaf/hard-or-hearing students at Whitman, aged 3 years through 6th grade. At
Whitman, the DHH students are “just Whitman kids”.  They participate in running
club, music class, band, and ASB. They play sports, take karate, join a dance
company, speak two languages, succeed scholastically and yes, even play violin.

The Whitman Strings will be performing with the Greater San Diego Chamber
Orchestra, directed by Dr. Angela Yeung in the Shiley Theatre at the University
of San Diego, at 3pm on Sunday, March 9th.   Tickets - $10.00 for adults, $8 for
seniors, and $5 for students - can be ordered in advance from Whitman Elementary
School or purchased at the door.  Don’t miss the opportunity to hear these
budding musicians!

Driving & Parking Directions:  Enter the Campus via the West Entrance off of
Linda Vista Road, Take Marian Way to the top of the hill.  Park in any white
lined space not marked "Reserved."

Directions to Shiley Theater:  Walk to Camino Hall (on the east side of Copley
Library).  Enter through Camino's Main Double Door.  Pass through the hallway
and courtyard.  Enter Shiley Theater at the end of the courtyard.

General Meeting for CAC

March 13, 2014

Community Advisory Committee for Special Education (CAC)

California Education Code (Part 30, Chapter 2, Article 7, 56190
<http://law.justia.com/california/codes/edc/56190-56194.html> ) requires each
Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) to establish a Community Advisory
Committee for Special Education (CAC). CAC serves in an advisory capacity to the
Board of Education (BOE) and Special Education administration on the
implementation of the Local Plan.

This plan is a legal document that describes how SDUSD provides services to
students with exceptional needs. CAC membership is comprised of parents with
students who receive Special Education services, parents with students in
general education, district staff from both special and general education,
community agency representatives and any community member who is interested in
Special Education.

The Committee meets 10 months per year. Although CAC nominates potential
members, the BOE appoints them. Any parent of a student in the district, staff
or community member may attend and participate in CAC meetings.

Whitman PTA Board Meeting
Monday, March 24, 2014 at 5 pm
Whitman Elementary Library

Spring Fundraiser
March 28, 2014 - April 11, 2014

Spring Break
March 31, 2014 - April 4, 2014

San Diego Civic Youth Ballet

"Cinderella"

SDCYB's 2013-2014 season includes a special ballet production of "Cinderella" on
April 2, 2014 - April 6, 2014.  Tickets are on sale now.  You can find out more
about other upcoming productions, including their popular "Fairy Tales in the
Park"  by visiting their website.

SDCYB's 2013-2014 Season  <http://www.sdcyb.org/2013-2014-season/>

Whitman PTA's Spring Fiesta

Friday, April 11, 2014
5:30 pm - 8:00 pm

More details will be determined later but join us as Whitman PTA will be
providing food as well as holding our last Whitman PTA Association Meeting for
the school year where members will be voting on selecting the Whitman PTA Board
members for 2014-2015 school-year.  Come to the next Whitman PTA Board Meeting
on March 24 to find out more.

2nd Annual Fast Times 5k and Clairemont Day at the Bay
Saturday, April 12, 2014
First race begins at 7 am and there are a total of four races
7 am - Elite
7:30 am - age groups
8:00 am - School Groups
8:20 am - Community Run/Walk

Sign-up for the race at http://www.fasttimes5k.com/
  <http://www.fasttimes5k.com/> then head over to join
the fun with Clairemont schools and partners.
Check out the Event Facebook Page
<https://www.facebook.com/events/1389356244661422/>
date about the event.  And like the facebook for Fast Times 5K and Clairemont
Day at the Bay
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clairemont-Day-at-the-Bay-and-Fast-times-5K/497006310320251>

If you know of any community event that you would like to share, let us know by
emailing us at whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Have a fabulous week!

Whitman PTA<http://www.whitmanpta.com/>