[whitmanpta] Weekly Update for week of February 3, 2014

  • From: Whitman PTA <whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 21:45:32 -0500 (EST)

Dear Whitman Families and Friends,

Here are some events happening at or around the Whitman community.

Local Control Funding Formula Survey:

The San Diego Unified Council of PTAs is trying to learn how much our PTA units
have been involved in conversations about the Local control Funding Formula
(LCFF).

They invite you to participate in their survey. There are no right or wrong
answers to these questions; please click on the link to complete the survey.
 Thank you for your participation.

<https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SDUC-PTA-LCFF><https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SDUC-PTA-LCFF>

Whitman PTA Website!

Visit www.whitmanpta.com  <http://www.whitmanpta.com>  as we have recently
updated our website.  You can also keep in touch on our facebook page
at:<https://www.facebook.com/groups/whitmanpta/>

Whitman ASB's Pennies for Pasta
The Whitman ASB invites you to help raise monies for children with Blood Cancer
by donating your spare change.  Your child has been sent home with a flyer and a
box to collect change with.

Whitman PTA Board Meeting
February 5, 2014
5 pm, Whitman Library
Come see the Whitman PTA in action by attending our monthly board meeting.

Latino CAC Meeting - Addressing Special Education
Thursday, February 6, 2014
Time: 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm
Location: 4100 Normal Street

Shining Stars Assembly
Friday, February 7, 2014
9:30 am, On the Blacktop (Weather permitting)
There will also be a special check presentation to the Whitman PTA from AXA in
honor of being award a $1000 Grant for Take Your Families to School Week

San Diego Civic Dance Arts
Collage 2014 Perspective
Saturday, February 8 and February 15 at 3 pm and 7 pm
Sunday, February 9 and February 16 at 2 pm

Got Dance?
City of San Diego  Park and Recreation Department's Civic Dance Arts program
does and it is on display in their critically acclaimed Collage show
"Perspective" which runs the first three weekends in February at the Casa del
Prado Theater in Balboa Park. The theme for our show and our dances this year
has led to some wonderfully creative and inventive dance works- there are dances
with a kaleidoscope  of door frames, mirrored spinning trees, projections,
visual eye trickery and more. The show features various dance styles such as
tap, jazz, hip hop, modern, lyrical and musical theater and is sure to be an
imaginative and entertaining show for the whole family!

The San Diego Civic Dance Association (our non-profit support organization)
would like to invite our friends to attend this fabulous show. Tickets are only
$5, $10 and $15 and all proceeds benefit this wonderful non-profit  dance
program.

If you have not yet had the pleasure of seeing the Civic Dance Company perform,
be prepared to have your socks knocked off. Our dancers train for years in the
Park and Rec program and Company is truly a dance conservatory type environment.

When Mia Michaels of "So you Think You Can Dance" came down to work with the
dancers recently, she put it best: "I work with dancers all over the world, it
is very rare that they can pick up my hardest combinations...your dancers did. I
am truly impressed".

To order your tickets go to:

http://collage2014.brownpapertickets.com/
<http://collage2014.brownpapertickets.com/>

Madison Cluster Community Meeting
Madison High School
February 10, 2014
5 pm, Rm 101
School Board Member John Lee Evans will be present

Whitman Elementary's Enrollment Fair
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
Time:  9:30 am - 10:30 am
Whitman is having an Enrollment fair and Whitman Tour for parents of new
students.  You are welcome to join them for this event, or iinvite someone you
know who is interested in enrolling their children at Whitman.  Please RSVP as
soon as possible at (858) 273-2700

No School
February 14, 2014 - Lincoln's Birthday
February 17, 2014 - Washington's Birthday

Whitman PTA's Take Your Families to School Week
February 18, 2014 - February 21, 2014

Families and Friends are welcome to join us in these fun-filled and informative
activities!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014: Career Day

In-school event from 9:30 am – 11:00 am where parents and community members will
speak to students about their careers in the areas of Science, Technology,
Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (Full STEAM ahead!)

Wednesday, February 19, 2014:  Read to your student day

Parents and caregivers are welcome to spend time with their student from

9:00 am – 10:00 am and then come learn about the new common core education
standards.  Attendees will also receive learning materials on a CD to take home.
 Refreshments, Spanish Translation, childcare, and bus passes* will be provided.

Thursday, February 20, 2014: College Day

Students from local colleges will come to visit classrooms to speak about their
experience in college.  Dress in the colors of the college you want to go to!
 Whitman PTA is looking for local college students to participate so if you know
someone that is available that day, have them contact the Whitman PTA.

Friday, February 21, 2014: Family Math & Science Night, 5:30 pm – 8:00 pm

Whitman PTA will be featuring hands-on engineering activities involving the
physics of roller coasters that are sure to delight children.  Just go news
today (Feb 4, 2014) that we'll also be having a planetarium!

These events are made possible by a National PTA® Grant awarded to Whitman PTA
to help celebrate PTA 2014 Take Your Families to School Week Program to
highlight the power of Student Achievement.

*Childcare & Bus Passes:  A separate form will be sent home for you to RSVP for
childcare and/or bus passes (using public transit) or you can pick up a copy of
the from the front office

Vision 2020 Forum Invitation

The Board of Education and Superintendent Cindy Marten invite all stakeholders
to a series of neighborhood meetings to Dream Big together for the future of our
schools. We are committed to having clear, long-term priorities based on our
Vision 2020. We believe that when our priorities are inspired and informed by
our parents, students, and teachers, we will have important information for
long-range planning with students at the center. These forums will yield a clear
and collective sense of our district-wide long-term priorities.

The "Vision 2020 Forums: What Kinds of Schools Do We Want" series offer parents,
staff, students, and community members an opportunity to give input to the
superintendent and the board members on priorities for our students and schools.
Participation by cluster and parent leaders is vital to the success of these
discussions and our Vision 2020.  The meeting date for our Sub-district is
listed below:

Sub-District A, Trustee John Lee Evans
Monday, Mar. 3, 7-9 p.m.
Mira Mesa High School
10510 Reagan Rd. (92126)
<https://www.google.com/maps/preview/place/10510+Reagan+Rd,+San+Diego,+CA+92126/@32.9104483,-117.1392877,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dbf8e8626d6c2f:0xd7f4386dbfd6c45b>

Chili's Dine-Out
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
This is an all-day fundraiser event where proceeds from Chili's sales will go to
Whitman PTA provided that patron presents a flyer (flyer will be available
closer to the date)

Open House/Spring Fiesta
Friday, March 28, 2014
5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Join Whitman Elementary and visit your child's classroom to see what they have
been learning all year long.  Whitman PTA will be providing food as well as
holding our last Whitman PTA Association Meeting for the school year where
members will be voting on selecting the Whitman PTA Board members for 2014-2015
school-year.

Spring Fundraiser
March 28, 2014 - April 11, 2014

Spring Break
March 31, 2014 - April 4, 2014

2nd Annual Fast Times 5k and Clairemont Day at the Bay
Saturday, April 14, 2014
First race begins at 7 am
Sign-up for the race at www.fasttimes5k.com then head over to join the fun with
Clairemont schools and partners.

If you know of any community event that you would like to share, let us know by
emailing us at whitmanpta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have a fabulous week!

Whitman PTA