[webproducers] Re: web producers profiles ??

  • From: "Tony Zeoli" <tonyzeoli@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 15:40:51 -0400

Morry,
My friend, Jonathan Hull, is the East Coast rep for Ning. He can help you
with any questions you have.

I've cc'd him here.

Yes, choosing a platform is definitely a big decisions. Do you use an Open
Soure package? Or, do you go with a hosted service like Ning, Square Space,
Wordpress, etc... I like Ning and it's something I know that we're going to
be developing for.

There is BuddyPress, which is a fork of Wordpress. I'm possibly building my
new Netmix social platform on BuddyPress, mainly because it's blogging
intensive and I like the plugins that exist already for Wordpress. But, I'm
not absolutely sure yet. I'm considering Ning, but I may choose BuddyPress
because I'm raising money and need to control the platform. So Ning might
not be right for me for that reason. I want to control the code at the end
of the day and not put my eggs in one basket. But for a user group, Ning
would be a perfect solution. You might also want to consider CrowdVine too.
Web 2.0 Expo uses Crowd Vine as their platform.

Tony