[webproducers] Re: project management courses

  • From: "Keren Solomon" <kerensolomon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:26:21 -0500

I took a 5-day pm course through the American Management Association (AMA)
about two years ago.  Overall it was okay.  I had never gotten any sort of
pm training, so it gave me a good pm vocabulary ("oh so THAT's a Gantt
chart...") for things I was more or familiar with.  I took the general
introductory course, and there was a wide range of attendees.  Relatively
few were in new media or software, so it was interesting to see what a
project manager might do in a pharmaceutical company.  They have separate
courses for software professionals, though I can't vouch for their quality.

As a side note, one of the classes was cancelled because of a terrible
snowstorm in NY (it was the day that Giuliani declared a state of emergency
and sent everybody home, some of you might remember it).  Well the AMA said
that we could all take the course again for free.  Since I felt I had
already gotten most of the concepts (plus the course workbook) I asked if I
could apply the credit towards a different class, and they let me take the
"intro to marketing" class.  Overall they are pretty flexible and
professional.  But they're not cheap!  A 3 day class might be $1500 or
$1600.

What I might recommend is that you request their course catalog and look
through it.  If nothing else, you'll get a good idea of what a pm course
syllabus might look like.  CAVEAT/WARNING: Once you are on their mailing
list, you will never get off it.  Never.  I get at least one brochure a week
from them, covering everything from pm to marketing to accounting to
management for non-managers.  If you don't mind the mail, it's a good way to
put together the syllabuses for a mini-business school program.  If you do
mind the mail, it will drive you nuts.

HTH.

From: Morry Galonoy <galonoym@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Wp (E-mail)" <webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webproducers] project management courses
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:39:44 -0500

Can anyone suggest a good pm course in NYC or online?

  <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>

morry w. galonoy
producer
  <http://www.ruderfinn.com/> ruder finn interactive