[webproducers] Re: mobile/cell advice

  • From: A Staiano <staiano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: webproducers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:55:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I have read all of the replies so far and wanted to add my
2 cents, along with my background.  I am a web and wireless
developer so I do my best to know all I can about the latest
and greatest with respect to cell phones and cell service.

I have T-Mobile (live in Brooklyn) and love it.  As others
have pointed but, Verizon has better cover across the US.
T-Mobile's coverage is great in large cities and on major
highways, like if you drive I-95 to Boston from NY you will
have coverage all the way.  In NYC I find both Verizon and
T-mobile to have good coverage (although verizon's is a bit
better).  As with all cell service you will have a dropped
call form time to time, but is that you or the person on the
other end who is also on their cell phone?  Additional
T-Mobile (or any GSM carrier) offers much better phones.
For example you still can't even get a phone with bluetooth
except for GSM.

Since this person just moved back from London I would assume
she still has friends she wants to stay in contact with over
there and that is why I definitely recommend T-Mobile for her.
I have friends in London and friends and relatives in Italy
and I text message them for free (with the text messages
included in my plan) as opposed to Verizon which just added
the ability for international text message and I believe
charges a separate fee international text messages.  Also you
can get decent long distance rates if you choose to call
Europe via your cell.  I pay .29 cents to Italy which isn't
great compared to what you can pay via a regular phone at the
same time it is very convinient and cheaper than other carriers.
Additionally if she plans to travel back to Europe she'll be
able to use her service over there (as long as she gets a
world phone, which almost all gsm phones that t-mobile sells
are).  Lastly, depending on what phone she had in Europe she
might even be able to use it here and that can help lesson
some of the cost too.

The best deal T-Mobile has now is $39.99/month for 1000 anytime
minutes, free nights (9pm-6:59am) and free weekends (anytime
minutes are any minutes that aren't night or weekend) plus 50
free text message.  Then you can add 300 more text messages
for $2.99 or 1000 messages for $5.99.  I have the added 300
messages and with tax my bill is $53 about.

As for text messaging in general there are a few FREE sites to
send messages in the US and worldwide.  If anyone is interested
email me and i'll send out what I have.

More question?  Just ask.

Hope this helps,
Antonio