[webidea] WebIdea Newsletter#1: The Killer App

  • From: "Chinmay Kulkarni" <chinmay_k@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WebIdea" <webidea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 16:02:46 +0530

Quick! Tell me of the five websites topmost in your mind now! You've 5 seconds'
time.

Waiting. waiting. waiting.
Done? Now, what are they?  Let me guess. Here's my list - Yahoo! , Google,
Hotmail, Paypal, and till sometime ago, Napster.

I bet at least one of these matched your list. (Didn't they?)

Now, on to the next question -- have you ever seen ads from any of these sites,
more than thrice a week?

See the truth? If you've a really great site, you don't need to advertise much.

<Thunderbolt sound-effect here>

You may argue that these were early starters, but oh come on; Paypal is young
as a baby! Maybe even your site is much older! What did these sites have which
thousands of others don't?

They have a killer app. Let me explain. when Google started some two years ago,
there were many other search engines. Angelfire, Lycos Search, MSN and the
like. Where did Google score? Its site was bland (it still is) and it didn't
advertise as much as MSN.

It had a killer app. It just searched, and it did it really well.

Paypal's the same story- it served the growing need of secure web transactions.

So is Ebay. So you see, in order to make your site a success, you need a killer
app.

Wait till the next newsletter, and I'll tell you more about killer apps.

Till then.

That's all, Folks!

Yours,
Chinmay.