[wdmaudiodev] Re: which card is which?

  • From: Waldemar Haszlakiewicz <waldemar.haszlakiewicz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwe kirst <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:01:11 +0100

Hi Uwe

As much as for AVStream type of drivers go it's like that:
at boot the PCI slot number is used, but if the user installs the cards than
there is really no order that is correct -> ok there is if you remove both
entrances
in DeviceManager and then press right button -> "Scan for hardware changes".
Than the PCI slot number is used.

Anyway if 1 card is already installed and you want to install the other ->
the system can uninstall the first one -> install the second and then install
the first
one again. So it's a mess.

So for AVStream driver the serial number is correct only at boot time,
but then again you shouldn't use the serial number -> it's a bad thing -> what
happens
if your first card is uninstalled and the system still supports the second ->
then the serial
number is wrong.

Anyway in our driver we operate everything with class and card pointers and
don't use the serial
at all -> so if you need serial you get it every time you need it. It's much
more safe that way.

Good luck
Waldemar

uk> I'm developing a WDM driver for a soundcard. It's uses portclass
uk> (WAVE_CYCLIC). If  install more than one card of the same type, windows
uk> adds "(2)" to the device names (friendly names). My question is how does
uk> Windows detect which is the first card and which the second one. What
uk> agorithm is used? I'm a little bit confused, because it's _always_
uk> different from what I expect.
uk> Does it depent on the PCI slot number?
uk> Does it depend on the order the drivers are loaded? (seems not)
uk> Thanks Uwe

uk> WDMAUDIODEV addresses:
uk> Post message: mailto:wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
uk> Subscribe:    mailto:wdmaudiodev-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=subscribe