[wdmaudiodev] Re: disabling a wdm audio driver during playback

  • From: uwe kirst <u.kirst@xxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:27:53 +0200

Hello,
I think disable / enable a device without reboot is the normal case. Imagine a Firewire audio device where you unplug the cable. It restarts playing when you restore the cable connection.
This is a OS feature I think.
Uwe

Martin Gagnon wrote:

Hi all!
I have been away from this list since a couple of years now. But circumstances have recently gotten me back into the PC audio world, although not doing specific driver development.
My question: i want to disable an audio device while a stream is playing back, and then re-enable it sometime afterwards. My testing with 4 different audio cards (based on different audio controllers) indicates that the system needs to be restarted in order to apply the change after i have disabled the audio device (while playing) . Would that be an OS constraint? Or could the driver be made in a way that allows enable/disable (while playing) without triggering a system reboot?
Thank you for any insight.
Regards,
Martin