[wdmaudiodev] audiodg.exe CPU consumption in 32-bit and 64-bit Vista

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:17:42 +0700

Working with 32-bit and 64-bit Vista under VMware Workstation 6.0.4, I
noticed that the same audio activity causes very significant
difference in CPU resources consuming by the audiodg.exe.

For example, I run my Audio Repeater utility (from Virtual Audio Cable
project). This simple utility records from a device and plays back to
another device, using MME interface. Regardless of audio devices
selected for recording/playback, the load difference is significant.

In 32-bit Vista, audiodg consumes 15-25 percent of CPU (shown by Task
Manager). In 64-bit Vista, audiodg consumes only 2-7 percent. And
overall audio performance is much better in 64-bit Vista, sound skips
occur very rare. In 32-bit Vista, sound skips occur very often, even
if I don't use guest audio adapter.

Does anybody know why?

My host system: Athlon 64 X2 3800+, Windows XP. Each of guest VMs has
two CPUs and 600 MB of RAM. VMware memory usage is set to "Fit all VM
into reserved memory".