[wdmaudiodev] audio input stream

  • From: "Bogdan Liviu Dinu" <dinuliviu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:53:22 +0300

Hi everybody,

I need to find a way to alter the audio streaming from a microphone in the
system, transparently to the application that uses the device. I want to
apply some effects on the audio from the microphone (like reverb, noise
cancellation, etc.) and have them globally available in the system.

I've tried to filter the audio device in the system with an upper
filter driver, but all I get are the properties for the audio format and
capabilities, it seems that the audio stream somehow skips the driver stack.
I am getting the frames only if I open the device from "WDM Streaming
Capture Devices" when I build the audio graph. From what I've read, this is
the way the audio stack was designed to work.

IOCTL_KS_HANDSHAKE seems to be the key, but the documentation is really
poor.

Is there a way to intercept the audio stream before it gets to the
application that uses the device? Does Windows provide a way to implement a
filter (user mode or kernel mode) for this purpose?

Could anyone give me some suggestions?
Thanks,
Bogdan Dinu