[wdmaudiodev] Re: Windows Clock Compensation

  • From: Akshaykeerti Sharma <asharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 13:48:48 -0500

Firmware engineer here.

One possible solution we implemented for usb-audio using synchronous mode was to adjust the reference clocks on the micro-controller in realtime by a very small amount to ensure that there are no underflow/overflow conditions that manifest themselves as pops/clicks(we did have pops and clicks otherwise)

A better solution is to not use sync mode but use the async mode in which the device communicates with the host and asks it to send more/less data.. The device maintains it's own accurate clock source and plays it back correctly.

On 10/18/2017 1:40 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:

Why is that?  Is the Audio Engine compensating for this?  Is it
monitoring average byte-per-second rates over long periods and doing
smoothly adjusting the frames?  Or is it sheer luck that we don't get
pops and clicks?

--
Akshay Sharma
Project Engineer