[wdmaudiodev] Re: Where did the MSVAD GUIDs disappear?

  • From: "Don Bell" <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:33:29 -0500

On 4/10/07, Don Bell <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1. Do audio miniport drivers register interfaces at all?

From the WDM Audio Terminology section in the WDK documentation:

"The port class driver's PcRegisterSubdevice function registers the
subdevice, which is *perceived as a device* by the rest of the
system."

However, a few paragraphs earlier, in the definition of "Miniport
Driver (WDM Audio)" one can find:

"It [The miniport driver] is not recognized as a driver by the
operating system."

Interesting subtlties to notice here: Subdevice gets registered, but
not the miniport drivers.

However, the port drivers do get registered via GUIDs in the
[.Interfaces] section of the INF file. In MSVAD they are assigned to
string constants that start with 'KSCATEGORY_'.

2. If so, where/how do I find their GUIDs (in the registry)?

Search for ##?#Root#MEDIA#0000#  (or for Root\MEDIA\0000).

Posted for the benefit of future newbies (like me :-))

Don