[wdmaudiodev] Re: What would you Recommend for Testing a Virtual Audio Driver?

  • From: "Don Bell" <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:29:29 -0500

Wow! Thank you so much, Giuseppe and Matt. Your answers help me focus on
what I need to learn for the task at hand. I am glad to get a confirmation
for my intention to jump directly to DirectSound (the documenation, samples
and tutorials are so good!) for the application side of the prototype I need
to develop.

As for your question, Matt - I wasn't aware of Virtual Audio Cable, but I
knew about something similar called TotalRecorder. Your idea of using
existing audio apps is great and I intend to use it. And since I need to
write the application side as well I will follow Giuseppe's advice too.
Thanks for providing that tip about CopyTo and CopyFrom (I am assuming you
were referring to the methods of IDmaChannel, right?).

Don

On 3/26/07, Matt Gonzalez <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Don-

I was wondering - are you familiar with Virtual Audio Cable?  It's a
driver that already does what you describe.   What you're attempting is
a daunting task.

To answer your other questions, I would simply use existing audio apps
such as Sound Forge and Media Player - send a sine wave into your driver
with Media Player, and record it with Sound Forge.   Sound Forge has a
built-in glitch detector that you can use to easily find errors.

Wave and DirectSound are both supported for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows.
From your driver's point of view, there's no difference - you simply
present a kernel streaming filter and the Windows APIs layer on top of
that.

Good luck!

Matt