[wdmaudiodev] Re: WG: Optimal KS buffer sizes ?

  • From: "Jerry Evans" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:21:52 +0100

Patrick

It seems incredible but true - there is simply no compliance requirement for latency in the WDM driver. I've no idea what Microsoft plan for Vista but it better be something smarter than the wretched,warped system that exists at the moment. Any 'softies around to comment ?

The KSSTREAMALLOCATOR_STATUS call works for PCI devices but not USB. With the hardware I've got here (various AC97 devices, Creative SBs etc) the call always returns a value of 480 - i.e 10ms of buffering at 48K. This (coincidentally) is the value used in the AC97 example driver. Maybe we just have a recurring case of copy & paste or some guidelines somewhere dictated the 10ms buffer. If you did have true AC97 compatible hardware you could try rebuilding the DDK sample and see how well it works with smaller buffers.

Some time back the USB stack guy at Microsoft indicated that there was also 10ms of latency built into the USB stack - which about fits with my measurements. Check the archives for more details.

I've no idea what you are doing but if you must have consistent and known latency then either try hardware with ASIO drivers (which report latency and allow much finer control) or use USB and insert your own driver. My original hopes of offering low-latency via AC97 have completely faded though Michael Tippach (www.asio4all.com) seems to know a trick or two that I don't. You might try and ask him.

Jerry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Pfeifer" <patrick_pfeifer@xxxxxxxx>