[wdmaudiodev] USB Audio Class driver

  • From: Steve Thorpe <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:50:25 -0700 (PDT)

When our USB Video Capture product installs using our
vendor suppied USB Audio driver the friendlyname ( for
enumerating the audio filter in DirectShow ) is
supplied
in our INF file.

But our product is USB Audio Class compliant so in
some (most) circumstances we don't require the
customer to install our audio driver. In that case
the friendlyname is either :
a) the same name as the video device friendly name,
if the QCap audio source filter is enumerated
(CLSID_AudioInputDeviceCategory) or
b) "USB Audio Device" if the KSProxy audio source
filter is enumered ( KSCATEGORY_AUDIO_DEVICE )

In case b) (which we require to acheive low latency
audio) the name "USB Audio Device" is supplied for all
USB Audio class compliant devices so there appears to
be no way to differentiate between two USB Audio Class
compliant devices present on the system during
enumeration. We have tested this with our, and another
vendor's devices installed simultaneously and this is
in fact the case.

Is there any way other than by friendlyname that audio
filter enumeration can use to uniquely identify a
driver for a particular device?

Steve Thorpe