[wdmaudiodev] Re: Pull mode versus push mode

  • From: "David A. Hoatson" <dhoatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:41:31 -0800

Jeff,

Even if using push mode, wouldn't the timer interrupt be running for each
streaming device?  Doesn't the timer interrupt act just like a hardware
interrupt with regard to the CPU state?

Having written drivers for radio station automation systems in the past,
having any glitches in the audio would be a problem for station running
24/7.  Pull mode does give a more 'hardwired' connection between the
hardware position and the software streaming engine.  It just makes me 'feel
better' to know that the hardware is controlling the position instead of the
software guessing.

Is ASIO an option?  That would give a single hardware interrupt at the
bufferSwitch point for all the channels and bypasses everything Microsoft so
you don't have to worry about a system sound from an error dialog box
interrupting the on-air audio.  No worrying about something in the streaming
engine resampling the audio or having to worry about the two extra limiters
that are put into the audio stream whether you want them or not.  Exclusive
mode fixes most of that... :-)  OK, I admit that I am an ASIO evangelist.

Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
www.lynxstudio.com