[wdmaudiodev] LFX APOs

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 16:23:57 -0800

I'm trying to understand the fine points for installing an LFX APO.

The "Custom Audio Effects in Windows Vista" white paper describes the
INF entries necessary to set up the registry for an APO.  I'm trying to
install an LFX APO on an existing microphone for testing purposes before
I get real hardware.  I'd rather not take the time to construct an INF
file for this quick test, so I'm hacking the registry.  I can add the
FX\0 registry key, and I've checked the spelling of every GUID 20 times,
but the APO is never loaded.

Now, the white paper says that the Control\DeviceClasses registry keys
are "migrated" to Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio, and I can see
that's been done for my motherboard audio device, but there is no hint
about how or when that migration magically happens.  My suspicion is
that the MMDevices\Audio key is the one that audiodg actually pays
attention to, and my keys are not being migrated there.

So, who does that migration?  Is it the Media class installer?  That
would imply that the INF method is absolutely, positively required to
enable an APO (unless I want to change the registry permissions, which I
really don't).