[wdmaudiodev] Re: KMDF for a USB audio driver?

  • From: Nick Dowell <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:29:05 +0000

Yes, ideally that would be the case.

What I forgot to mention is that our products are geared towards music production and recording, meaning the driver needs to offer:

1) sub 10 ms passthrough (in+out) latency for direct software monitoring in applications such as Cubase, Sonar...
2) ASIO driver support (most audio production apps still use this)

I know it's possible to write an ASIO driver which will stream via USBAUDIO.SYS, but I'm not sure that USBAUDIO.SYS can ever deliver the kind of low latency that is required.

I'll investigate the performance of USBAUDIO.SYS, but assuming I have to go down the custom driver route, is KMDF feasible?

Regards,

Nick

On 2 Mar 2006, at 17:39, Tim Roberts wrote:

Nick Dowell wrote:

I'm researching writing a new audio driver for Windows, which would work over USB, and am very keen to use the WDF model because of all its touted advantages :)

Are there any complications or reasons why I shouldn't use WDF to
develop such a driver?

There's one very good reason: because most USB audio devices shouldn't
need a custom driver at all.

If you are creating a new USB audio device, you really really want to
make it compliant with the USB Audio Class.  Once you do that, you
automatically get operating system support clear back to Win98 without
any driver work at all.