[wdmaudiodev] How to override a sound card's icon and "Friendly name" during install

  • From: "Paul Titchener" <pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:56:36 -0700

Jeff P., thanks for the response on setting a driver’s default sampling
rate/etc. during install, that looks pretty straightforward.

I’m also trying to override the default device icon and name that appears in
the “Sound” panel, typically used for selecting your default device.
These settings can be easily changed by the user in that Sound panel, and end
up as straightforward settings in two values in the “Properties” key in the
driver’s MMDevices registry entry, so it looks like it should be simple to do.
But I’ve hit a bunch of posts from people trying to get these changes done with
registry writes in the driver’s .inf file but I haven’t hit a post where the
effort was successful.
Typically what has been tried is AddReg entries below, where the PKEY vars
point to the correct property name value:
HKR,"EP\\0", %PKEY_AudioEndpoint_Name%,,%DEV_Device_Name%
HKR,"EP\\0", %PKEY_AudioEndpoint_Icon%,,%DEV_Icon_File%

Those appear to be correctly written but as other posters have conveyed, don’t
work, the registry values for some reason don’t get changed. An approach using
an add property operation such as below doesn’t work either.

AddProperty=DEV_AddPropertySection

[DEV_AddPropertySection]
;%PKEY_AudioEndpoint_Name%,2,18,,%DEV_Device_Name%
;%PKEY_AudioEndpoint_Icon%,12,18,,%DEV_Icon_File%

Has anyone figured out how to set these registry values during a driver
install, even with a “workaround” method?