[wdmaudiodev] Re: DirectKS not working properly on XP with an USB device

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:57:54 -0700

Maciej Cieślak wrote:
> I am developing an application that plays audio on an USB device using
> Kernel Streaming. This program is designed to work with one specific
> device.
> When I am using the DirectKS sample (slightly modified to pick the
> right device) on Vista or 7, everything works properly. However, on XP
> I experience some serious problems: the packets are returned not in
> order and irregularly.

We can't diagnose this with the information you have provided.  A big
part depends on how you have coded the application.  Buffers are always
completed in order, but once they get to your application, anything can
happen, especially with a multithreaded app on a multicore processor.

> The problem is very interesting for me, because KS is supported in
> Windows XP and not supported in Vista and above, and I experience
> something completely opposite.

Where did you hear that KS is not supported in Vista and above?  That's
nonsense.  It's still very alive and well.