[wdmaudiodev] Best approach for virtual device

  • From: Trevor Sundberg <trevor.sundberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 22:24:32 -0700

My post is very much related to this:

//www.freelists.org/post/wdmaudiodev/Sending-Data-from-Virtual-Audio-to-Real-Audio

I would like to write an application that takes any sound being played and
delays it by a given amount. I figured the best way to write this is to
write a WDM audio driver that acts as a virtual device, records the sound,
then plays it back to an actual device. I have the MSVAD projects and WDK,
however, I do not have any experience working with Kernel mode code, and so
I'm a little apprehensive.

One solution I have thought of is using the MSVAD samples to write a very
simple virtual driver that does nothing, and then using
WASAPI<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd371455%28v=vs.85%29>or
something similar to capture sound from the virtual device (basically
in
user mode). I'm uncertain of whether this would work, or if this is even a
good approach. I don't actually care what API is doing the playback of the
delayed sound, so long as it is capable of outputting to a non-default
device.

Another option I am considering is using this API/SDK:
http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/sdk-license.html

It seems like this is a descent wrapper around the driver for those who
typically program in user-mode.

Any advice or recommendations? Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
Trevor Sundberg