[wdmaudiodev] Atomic IO Operations.

  • From: "Jay Schwichtenberg" <jays@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WdmAudio" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:55:56 -0800

Hello,

I have hardware that in certain cases needs to have IO operations done
atomicly. Mainly in a DPC and in once case at startup. I'm talking at the HW
level and not the system level. Basicly these operations can not be
interrupted by anyone not OS, not timer, not keyboard..... A couple examples
are: programming FPGAs, in a multiple card system being able to write to
every cards start register without being interrupted to keep them
synchronized. Now days you can't just do the old pushfd, cli, .... popfd
which sucks. (There are some of us out here that can write real drivers and
not abuse the system.) From what I can tell all the spin lock stuff and
KeSynchronizeExecution just boost the IRQL to beyond the current cards
level. Maybe I might be wrong.

So I'm wondering if someone can enlighten me or explain how they are working
around this issue.

Much thanks in advance.
Jay S.