[wdmaudiodev] About wdm filter driver in wdm audio driver architecture

  • From: "Yuhong Feng (Beijing)" <YuhongFeng@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 16:08:00 +0800

In wdm audio driver architecture, the port class driver(portcls.sys) serves
as a container for a collection of port drivers, each of which provides
support for a different type of audio hardware functions. The adapter driver
serves as a container for all miniport drivers associated with a given
adapter. The miniport driver implements a function-specific interface for a
function on an audio adapter card that resides on a system bus. It is not
recognized as a driver by the operating system. The adapter driver is
recognized as a driver by the operating system and is contained in its own .
sys file. The adapter driver binds its miniport driver for a particular
function to the corresponding port driver for a function type. A
port/miniport driver pair is registered as a subdevice and serves as a
KS(Kernel Streaming)  filter(wave filter, topology filter, midi filter). All
port/miniport driver pairs share a device object  associated with an adapter
driver.
I want to implement a wdm filter driver that supports audio EQ function.
Should I place the wdm filter driver above the port class driver or above
the adapter driver?  Is the wdm filter driver inserted between the  port
class driver and the adapter driver? Additionally, I haven't found any
sample about wdm filter driver for audio device in DDK or internet.  Did
anyone implement wdm filter driver for audio device? May I  use Kernel
Streaming things (KS filter, KS node,  KS pin) in  wdm filter driver ?
Thanks in advance!
Yuhong