[wdmaudiodev] Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Possible problem in IPortDMus::Notify and servicegroup dispatching?

  • From: "Evert van der Poll" <evert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 23:49:07 +0100

Hi Tobias,

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear.

>> But would not the race-condition persist?

The MIDI data is returned by calling IAllocatorMXF::PutMessage(), not by the
return value from the function. That is right.
But if the queue is empty, the call to IMXF::PutMessage() will return to
PortCls without having submitted new data. PortCls will only call
IAllocatorMXF::PutMessage() after it has processed all previous data. So in
this last call it is safe to set your "not running anymore" flag, knowing
that you already emptied your queue in the previous call and that there is
not going to be any processing on PortCls's side since there is no new data.
There is no race-condition in this scenario.

>> I was still wondering if it is safe to call PutMessage
>> on the Allocator of the IPortDMus within The PutMessage() of the
>> render-stream for example.

Actually I don't use a spinlock on my capture stream. If you look closely at
the DDK sample you
will see that it also doesn't use a spinlock there. The call to
SourceEvtsToPort() from the
PutMessageLocked() function is actually bogus. You won't call this from your
DPC because that is handling your render stream. The capture stream is
entirely driven by PortCls.

The only place where I call IAllocatorMXF::PutMessage() while holding a
spinlock is on my render stream. This looks safe to me. You're only
recycling a used event. There is not going to be any processing on it on
PortCls's side.

Regards,
Evert