[wdmaudiodev] Re: APOProcess is not getting called after LockForProcess

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 11:09:00 -0700

Rajendra Sethi wrote:

    I am testing my apo dll which I made changes using swapapo dll code.
I facing issues in some of the microsoft surface devices where APOProcess is not getting called after LockForProcess for MFX. Some devices it's calling perfectly.
My assumption is somewhere some other apo dll's EFX got registered which is causing this issue.
Is there any option to disable the EFX for other APO dll.

I'm going to rant for a bit; nothing personal.

This is EXACTLY why the audio subsystem was redesigned for Vista, and why the rules on distributing and installing APOs are so draconian.  Everyone thinks their clever little audio tweak is the most important one, and ought to top of the list.  It was this kind of thinking that polluted the pre-Vista audio environment with myriad cute filter drivers competing for bandwidth that made predictably latency impossible, and now we're getting right back into the same situation.  Most audio enhancements should be part of an application that knows what's being done, not system-wide and anonymous.

Theoretically, if the rules were being followed, there wouldn't be any APOs you didn't install.  Your APO is supposed to be part of the driver package, after all, as are all of the other APOs. You ought to be able to poke in the registry to figure out if there are other APOs installed.

**

--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.