[The-L] Re: some confusion

  • From: "Nick" <narguimbau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <WarwickList@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 19:20:37 -0400

Thanks Jim for the valuable info that our median age supposedly was 49.5 in 2011, 51.5 in 2012, 55.4 in 2013, as compared with 59.5 in 2015 and 64.___ in 2p016, all based upon the 2010 census. So our median age has grown 15 years in the last 5 years? At that rate our median age will reach 80in 2021 and 94 in 2026. I am inclined to question reliance on these figures, and if we are going tomake decisions based on our median age, maybe we need to do our own census. (-:

But you've given me "some confusion." You say, "I guess if I must attend meetings to be a good citizen then

I'm not sure I'd have time for much of anything else " That's troubling, becauseSelectmen need to devote much more time to the taskoutsidde of meetings than in meetings For the last two years we were headed towards putting up $1.6 million in taxpayers' money to be paid back over 20 yearsfor fiber optics broadband for (then) 160 customers expected to pay that back at $10,000 each; we were being pushed by two gung-ho companies, a gung-hoTown Coordinator and a gung ho Broadband committee. But the Town Coordinator and Braodband Committee have come 'round and are now presenting the town with a proposal to put up 15% of the money for about an equal product, with a five-year payback period. David and the Committee should be given high marks for completely changing course in a few months, but we'd likely have signed up for an expensive bond issue the customers could never pay back if board members hadn't had "time for much of anything else" after the meetings. I've been beginning to feel that way, so needed toquit.

And of course there are other meetings to go to: school board meetings (they are responsible for more than half our budget, so school expenses more effect ou tax rate than town expenses), joint meetings with the finance committee, Massachusetts Municipal Association meetings (for"keeping up withe the issues"), on-site tree hearings, meetings of local agencies dealing withe issues of concerc to the Select Board, such as th Planning Board, Board o Health, Conservation Committee and Parks, recreation and Open Space, etc.

To your credit, you're already doing quite a bit of volunteer work for the town, but don't bite off more than you can chew! If you're going to do your job on the Select Board, you MUST NOT be sunure you'd "have time for much of anything else" beyond the meetings.

Nick

----- Original Message ----- From: "jim erviti" <jlerviti@xxxxxxxxx>