[The-L] Re: Roadside Clean up

  • From: regina@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WarwickList@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 15:30:16 -0400

I did the 1/3 mile stretch from our driveway to the Orange town line
yesterday and filled two full bags. In this instance, Bud Lite would get
the bill, followed closely by Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey nip bottle
manufacturers. It's so discouraging...

On 2020-04-19 19:13, Andrea Woods wrote:

Hi Joe and all, Parking area at Metcalf Chapel where you see the other bags.
We had a good pick up today. 3 large bags in a 1.5 mi area. I feel like sending Dunkin Donuts the bill.
Thanks to all who are helping. -Andrea W

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone [1]

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, 9:47 AM, Joe Farley <joefromwarwick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Dan,
[Public post on purpose.] You said in your original message to "Bring your bags to the Chapel by Sat morning APR 25...". Is it ok if we bring them there BEFORE Saturday morning? How much before (days?), and where do we put them?
Thanks, Joe Farley
On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 3:28 PM Louise P. Doud <lpdoud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: I like this idea.....
_Louise P. Doud__ __ MS.Ed., Ed.S., F/AOGPE, SLDT/CERI_
_Teaching for Literacy_
_prescriptive, multi-sensory, phonetic teaching of reading, writing & spelling_
_teacher training in the Orton-Gillingham approach_
_5 Chestnut Hill Road, Warwick, MA  01378   _
_lpdoud@gmail.com_ _978-544-2181_ _ _
"Children should not be required to fail before they are taught what they need to know." Isabelle Y. Liberman, literacy educator & researcher
On Apr 18, 2020, at 11:55 AM, Sue O'Reilly-McRae <sueomc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Perhaps some creative signage....
On Sat, Apr 18, 2020, 11:09 AM Daniel Dibble <metcalfucc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't think getting NH to put a deposition bottles and cans. I am amazed at the huge number of deposit cans in the Warwick recycling container. As we pick up, it seems to be the same trash in pretty much the same area of the road day after day. So, some people seem to just habitually throw their trash out the window, on their way home? Trying to raise the consciousness of those who could care less is a test of our resolve and persistence. Persist, resist, and keep picking up other peoples' trash until they take their responsibility seriously.
Dan
On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:06 AM NANCY HARNDEN <nlharnden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello folks!
I am the "Nancy" that Karl was referring to.
I have done road clean-up for decades where I grew up in Saugus and again when Karl and I lived Framingham, and I rarely picked up a returnable can or bottle. Yesterday, I started at the New Hampshire border and worked my way on Route 78 towards Warwick for about three-quarters of a mile on both sides of the road. As I walked along, I carried two old buckets, one for the New Hampshire cans and bottles (and some nip bottles, too) and one for just regular old trash. At the end of the day, I had two yellow bags stuffed with the cans and bottles and two with regular trash. Perhaps I should "return" the two bags with cans and bottles to New Hampshire.
I seem to remember that when the bottle bill in Massachusetts was first proposed, the ads against the bill claimed that people who litter would not stop littering since a nickel wouldn't mean much. Obviously, not true!
Nancy
P.S. - The blue Bud lite cans seem to be the most popular. On April 18, 2020 at 9:25 AM george bennett <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Back in April 2007, I sent the following to the 'Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer' of the Miller Brewing Company. I did not get a reply.
"Dear Mr Ransom,
When my son and I spent an our this spring evening picking up the winter's littered beer cans from the rural road that passes our house, we collected 227 cans in 0.3 of a mile. Your famous product, Miller Light, had the dubious distinction of being the most popular, accounting for 196 - 86% - of the trashed cans we collected.
I am sure you are not deliberately targeting the demographic of heedless, drink-driving litter louts, but you have certainly got them covered in our small town.
Yours sincerely, etc,"
Apologies for the slur on 'our small town'. On our road, those cans were almost
certainly imports from NH, but that would have taken too long to explain.

George
On Apr 18, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Elaine Reardon < ear@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've fantized about having remote cameras set here & there. I've often found the small peppermint snaps nips down here along with beer cans; that I suppose folks use that to clear their breathe before arriving home., and having the miscreants spend time doing pick up. elaine
On Apr 17, 2020, at 8:11 PM, Sue O'Reilly-McRae < sueomc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Well said, Karl. I have often thought that Anheuser-Busch should be required to pay a community service fee to rural communities.
On Fri, Apr 17, 2020, 12:55 PM Karl Quackenbush < karlq@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you, Dan, for all you're doing in connection with this effort.
As you know, Nancy has been out filling the yellow bags off and on over the past few weeks when she's had the time. In fact, she's out there in the wilds of Warwick picking up roadside litter at this very moment. (I'll be doing my part, too, when I'm done putting up our firewood for next season.)
I just want to note one particularly vexing aspect of roadside litter around here. We walk up and down our road several days per week. We take an old canvas bag with us and always pick up litter as we walk. I estimate that 90-to-95% of the stuff is made up of non-deposit beer cans, most certainly purchased in New Hampshire. What's particularly dismaying is that we usually find newly tossed beer cans along our road the very day after we picked everything up.
It's unfortunate, of course, that certain people think nothing of blithely throwing their empties out of their windows as they drive along our beautiful Warwick roads. (And, oh yes, that they're drinking while driving to begin with.) But it's also very unfortunate that a nearby state evidently doesn't think it's important to have a deposit law, and that we in this state suffer the consequences. We spend a heck of a lot of time picking up the darn cans, and we then take them to the Warwick transfer station, which represents an admittedly tiny, but still real, marginal load on our town's recycling system.
I don't know that there's much of anything to be done about this. Perhaps, as the saying goes, it just is what it is. I can't imagine there's any way of catching the miscreant can tossers in the act, nor can I think of any way to exert influence in an adjoining state's affairs. Does anyone have any bright ideas or other perspectives?
Karl Quackenbush On April 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM Daniel Dibble < metcalfucc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All, We will be doing something completely different this year. There are yellow bags at the Chapel for individuals or groups to use for cleaning up the roadsides in Warwick. They are in the front hall of the Chapel along with a few safety vests. Please take one vest per group and designate a "safety" person to stay near the road to warn drivers. Bring your bags to the Chapel by Sat morning APR 25 so we can get them to the transfer station before 3 PM.
We are asking you to pick up road trash to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day. Also consider making a sign of "Creation Care/ Concern" when you drop off your trash, to be hung on a clothesline we will put up over the bags. We will take pictures of the trash and the signs to post on-line and send to the Recorder.
Let's make this a special week of clean up and commitment to keeping the roads in Warwick and across the world clean and safe for humans, animals and all of creation. Thanks, Dan

Links:
------
[1] https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS