[WADNet Post] Oct 9: General News

  • From: WADNet Post Editor <wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wadnetpost@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 02:51:24 -0500

GENERAL NEWS
--  WTCI: Your Opinion, Please
--  Fieldwork/Observation Opportunities
--  IMPORTANT: FCC - VRS Non-compete Issue
--  Water Tower View Apartments
--  2007 Performances at the Commonweal Theatre
--  Oct 10: DEADLINE to Reserve Booth at WisRID Conference
--  Oct 13: IMPORTANT WSDAA Meeting for WSD Alumni
--  Oct 20: Deaf Empowerment PAH!
--  Oct 27: WTCI Community Gathering
--  Dec 31: New Years Eve 2007
--  2008: Northcentral Technical College Reunion
WTCI: Your Opinion, Please

WTCI has started its plans for the WTCI Spring Meeting and Banquet which is to be held next year. We need YOUR help to determine the best date and location.

The last time WTCI had its Spring Meeting and Banquet was in Waupaca, a central location in Wisconsin and we had about 50 or so people attend. WTCI would like to see more members at the meeting, because WTCI has some very important business that all members should be aware of.

To help, please go to our website at www.wi-deafdir.info and look at the left side. There are 2 polls there -- one for the date and one for location. Please vote your preference. The idea is to find a place that would be attractive and available to most WTCI members (and public as well).

Deadline to vote in the polls is OCTOBER 31st.

We are exploring the idea of doing some kind of a workshop with a presenter … maybe 2, depending on the time. The general meeting will take place during the afternoon, followed by the Banquet.

Additional news and details will be posted on our website, www.wi-deafdir.info as well as announced on WADNet Posts.

Any questions, please contact me at (email) president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or (voice) 800 678 7960 or (videophone) niceodie.homedns.org. Calls will be returned as soon as I am able.

  (Contributed by: Jim Powell, WTCI)

Fieldwork/Observation Opportunities

NEED AN INTERPRETER?  UWM INTERPRETER TRAINING PROGRAM CAN HELP.

Do you ever find yourself wanting an interpreter for a social event, your childrens sports practices or scout meetings? It may not be a situation that you would typically hire a paid professional for. UW-Milwaukee has a suggestion. The Interpreter Training Program has students that are available for simple interpreting assignments.

The UW-Milwaukee Interpreter Training Program seeks opportunities for students. We look for events that are appropriate to student's language ability. We strive to place students in a learning and supportive environment. We hope that local agencies and organizations have some interpreting, observation, community service or interaction opportunities for students to participate in.

Please contact Pamela Conine (Sommers) at psue@uwm,edu or at 414-229-2956 to arrange for fieldwork experiences for students.

This is not only a perfect opportunity for you to work with, and get to know future interpreters but it is also a great way for you to enhance the skills of these students and help them grow in the interpreting field. With your feedback and support together with their formal training, you can be sure that we will see these students mature into wonderful interpreters.

Please consider utilizing UWM ITP students the next time you have a simple interpreting need. They appreciate your support.

Pamela Sue Conine (formerly Sommers)
MS CI/CT
UW-Milwaukee Interpreter Training Program
Program Coordinator/Clinical Assistant Professor
2400 East Hartford Avenue
Enderis Hall-Office 669
Milwaukee, WI 53211
414-229-2956

   (Contributed by: Pamela Sue Conine, UWM ITP)

IMPORTANT: FCC - VRS Non-compete Issue

Ed Bosson just did an Alert on www.edsalert.com on important issue called VRS’s “non-compete clause”. Check out vlog on "FCC seeks comments on non-compete clause". It is important that you comment about this.

   (Contributed by: Jack Cassell, WADNet Reader)

Water Tower View Apartments

Water Tower View Apartments
for the Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Deaf/Blind seniors
1 and 2 bedroom floor plans. Beautifully designed for your needs, carpeted, all appliances,
Washer-dryer hook-up, underground parking.
Many Community activities to choose from
Prices range from $665-$850 heat included
Apply for a position on our waiting list - must be income qualified
Contact Carol TTY/VP 888-532-4107
or
Katie TTY/VP 888-532-4135
Equal Housing Opportunity

Katie Voss, Housing Consultant
Cardinal Capital Management, Inc.
135 South 84th St., Suite 100
Milwaukee WI  53214
TTY/VP: 888.532.4135
VP IP Address: 75.100.117.42
Office: 414.727.9902
Fax: 414.727.9731
kvoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  www.cardinalcapital.us

   (contributed by Katie Voss, Cardinal Capital Management, Inc.)

2007 Performances at the Commonweal Theatre

Please join us for American Sign Language interpreted performances of all of our mainstage productions in 2007.

Use www.goodsearch.com and select Commonweal Theatre Company as your designated cause. We'll get a penny every time you search!

Patrons in need of interpreter services will receive a 50% discount on all tickets, courtesy of the Commonweal and VSA arts of Minnesota.

For reservations, call 800-657-7025 or email tickets@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Uncle Vanya" by Anton Chekhov - November 4 at 2pm - in our new theatre!

"Inspecting Carol" by Daniel Sullivan - December 16 at 2pm - in our new theatre!

Jill Underwood
Resident Company Member
Commonweal Theatre
www.commonwealtheatre.org

   (Contributed by: Jill Underwood, Commonweal Theatre)

Oct 10: DEADLINE to Reserve Booth at WisRID Conference

Greetings,

On October 26-28, 2007, The Wisconsin Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (WisRID) will hold its annual fall conference. The location is in scenic Wisconsin Dells at the Glacier Canyon Lodge in The Wilderness Resort. Our Conference theme this year is “CPR Certification + Professionalism + Respect; An Interpreter’s First Aid Kit”.

We are hoping you will lend support this year by becoming an exhibitor at our conference and/or contribute to our silent auction. Come show our community what is new in your organization! In becoming a vendor at this year’s conference, you will increase your exposure to the Deaf Community as well as sign language interpreters and interpreting students from across the state.

The amount of exhibitor’s space is limited so reserve your booth today. We are offering a rate of *$50.00 per booth space to any vendor. (The space will include: one 6 foot x 2 foot table and two chairs. A charge of $50.00 will be charged for each additional table requested) Exhibits can be set up as early as 3:00 pm on October 26th and be taken down on 6:00 p.m. October 27th.

*Fees do not include conference registration for the individual staffing the table, if attending conference events.

To make a reservation please fill out the attached form and send it in by Wednesday, October 10, 2007. If you have any questions please contact: Robert Gerbing

Sincerely,

Robert Gerbing
2007 Fall Conference Fundraising Committee
1915 East Kenilworth Place
Apt. 458C
Milwaukee, WI 53202
414-331-6489
rgerbing@xxxxxxx

* We are also in need of donations for our Silent Auction. Please help us make this WisRID convention a successful one - contribute and participate. THANK YOU!

   (Contributed by: Robert Gerbing, WisRID 2007 Fall Conference Committee)

Oct 13: IMPORTANT WSDAA Meeting for WSD Alumni

The WSDAA Board wishes to announce that there will be a general membership meeting for the alumni on Oct 13 at 10:00 AM in Hannan Hall at WSD. Alumni are encouraged to attend. Three free door prizes: DVD player, a digital camera and $25 will be given away during the meeting. If desired, you may buy three tickets for $1.00 for those prizes at the meeting. ALUMNI, your presence is very important to the WSDAA board. If questions or more information, please contact Joe Siudzinski, president, Suidski56@xxxxxxx

Thank you
Deloris Erlandson, Secretary
http://www.wsdaa.org/

   (Contributed by: Deloris Erlandson, WSDAA)

Oct 20: Deaf Empowerment PAH!

Come (bring your kids too!) to the 5th Annual Deaf Empowerment PAH! Event!

Saturday, October 20, 2007
1:00pm to 9:00pm
Waverly Beach, N8770 Firelane 1, Menasha

TWO Free Children's workshops in the afternoon
Door Prizes
RAFFLE (50/50 Cash for top prize and other GREAT prizes!!)
Live Auction
Cocktail Hour (Cash Bar)
Banquet Dinner
Entertainment featuring ROSA LEE

Prices:
Adults (ages 14 & up): $25 each
Kids (ages 10-13): $12 each
Kids (ages 3-9): $6 each
Kids under age 3: FREE

Tickets are on sale NOW - you can get an order form from DE's website at http://www.deafe.org You can also get raffle tickets - contact any Deaf Empowerment Board member for more information (we cannot mail raffle tickets, sorry).

Menu:
Entree Choice: Broasted Chicken or Steak Tips
with
mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, vegetable, coleslaw, fruit fluff, dessert assortment, rolls, coffee & milk.

Come CELEBRATE with us at PAH!

More details on Deaf Empowerment's website at http://www.deafe.org

The winners of the 10 free PAH! tickets are also announced on the website.

******
FINAL WEEK!!! DEADLINE TO ORDER: SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2007! You can find order form on Deaf Empowerment website: http://www.deafe.org/de/events/PAH2007TixWebOrder.pdf - print and mail with your check!

Special note: A film crew from RIT/NTID will come to film Rosa Lee's performance. They will also film the activities at PAH! If you want to participate, come to PAH! (you will have to purchase tickets).

SEE YOU AT PAH!

   (Contributed by: Scott Seefeld, Deaf Empowerment)

Oct 27: WTCI Community Gathering

WTCI Fall 2007 Community Gathering

Saturday, October 27, 2007

9am - 4pm (lunch is on your own, or pack a bag lunch with your own beverages)

Menasha Public Library
Company "E" Room
440 First Street, Menasha

Cost: FREE

What We'll Do:
MORNING:
Review of bylaws, inclusion of any last revisions, then a vote to accept the bylaws as revised to be presented to members for ratification at the Spring Banquet.

AFTERNOON:
Mini-training on strategic planning, with SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis of WTCI with small group breakouts for discussions

RSVP REQUESTED BY OCTOBER 13, 2007 (for head count)

RSVP to Jim Powell, President

E-mail: president@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
VP: niceodie.homedns.org
TTY: 608-825-9791
Voice: 800-678-7960

Or, to get a mail-in registration form, you can go to WTCI site at http://www.wi-deafdir.info

   (Contributed by: Jim Powell, WTCI President)

Dec 31: New Years Eve 2007

West Suburban Association of the Deaf
is proud to host...

New Years Eve 2007

Monday - December 31, 2007

      Entertainment:
Pinky Tells the Real Story Videophone & Video Relay Service II
Flame Juggler

*Prizes

 *Dance Contest!

   *Best Outfits Contest
*Photography *Surprise ! :-)

Radisson Hotel
at Ballroom Entrance
1725 E. Algonquin Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173

See website for more information:  www.wsadeaf.org
or attached flyer/announcement

   (contributed by: Tim Mahoney, WADNet Reader)

2008: Northcentral Technical College Reunion

We plan to have Northcentral Technical College Reunion in 2008. I am looking for addresses for those who atteneded at Northcentral Technical College. We need help to find those addresses. If any one know the addresses, please email me or send to one of our committee members: Barb Anhalt, Scott Retzleff and Cathy Morrissey.

Here is the list of names that we try to find the addresses:
Brenda Bielenski, Larry Golly, Richard Fleming, Jeff Lielenski, Daryl Christianson, Joel Shiver, Joseph Serio, Jane Dyne, Robert Call, Jame Kuzinski, Bryan Samb, Phyills Abendroth, Barb Baungandt, Sherry Christansen, Rene Petert, Mike Fehl, David Fleming, Jenny Garcia, Susie Gau, Layvonne Koskey, Sue McGabe, Terre MIscho, Laurie Passow, Nancy Shedick, Pat Smrstick, Melissa Steuber, Bryl Vardre, June Vodvarka, Sue Uollenweider, Kay Closs, Pam Joachim, Tom Smith, Keith Mischo, John Staszak, Larry Hintz, Mike Fahich, Jim Prink, Susan Fleming, Diane Vander Zander.

We would like to send the survey for the information before we plan to have the reunion in 2008. I hope to hear from them by End of October 2007, so we can work on the plan for 2008. My email address is nuttycathy1@xxxxxxx, Banhalt143@xxxxxxx, and retzleff@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you
Catherine Morrissey, committee of NTC- Wausau

   (Contributed by: Catherine Morrissey, NTC-Wausau Reunion Committee)

Then

2) SUBSCRIBE to the WADNet Post by sending an email from your NEW email address
to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field.

TO SUBMIT ARTICLES for WADNet Posts, send an email with the information to
wadneteditor@xxxxxxxxxxx by 7pm CST Sunday night.  WADNet Posts generally go
out on Monday and/or Tuesday evenings each week.  Special Postings will be made
when there is an urgent need and on a case-by-case basis.  Please contact the
WADNet Post Editor if you have any questions.

TO RECEIVE WADNET POST IN DIGEST MODE: To start receiving WADNet Posts in digest mode, simply send an email to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "set digest" in the subject line. Leave the body of the email blank. You should get a confirmation saying "set digest" and "Flag successfully set". After that, you will start receiving WADNet Post in digest instead of separate emails for each post.

TO STOP DIGEST AND GO BACK TO NORMAL EMAIL:
Send an email to wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unset digest" in the subject line.  Leave
the body of the email blank.  You will get a confirmation showing "unset digest" and "Flag
successfully set".  And you'll go back to receiving normal emails from WADNet Post.

TO GO ON VACATION:
To set your WADNet Post subscription status to "vacation mode", simply send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "set vacation" in the subject line.  Leave the body of the email blank.
 You should get a confirmation saying "set vacation" and "Flag successfully set".  The system will
stop sending you email.

TO CHANGE BACK FROM VACATION MODE:
To set your WADNet Post subscription status back to normal, simply send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unset vacation" in the subject line.  Leave the
body of the email blank.  You should get a confirmation saying something like "Flag
successfully set".  The system will start sending you email again as normal.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE from the WADNet Post, send an email to
wadnetpost-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field.

Please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org for the latest information
and events.  Also, please visit our website at http://www.wi-deaf.org if you
wish to become a member of WAD.