[visurfacereader] Re: Surfacereader and the Keystation Pro 88 keyboard controler.

  • From: "Jim Noseworthy" <jim.noseworthy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visurfacereader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 08:07:28 -0300

Thanks all over the place Tim.

From: Tim Burgess
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2014 7:06 AM
To: VI SurfaceReader VI SurfaceReader
Subject: [visurfacereader] Re: Surfacereader and the Keystation Pro 88 keyboard
controler.

Hi Jim,

I’ve responded to your enquiry on-list, as this is of general interest.

You can make this kind of device report some useful information, but it won’t
be in the same class as something like your FW1884, as the KeyStation is a
one-way connection (i.e. Sonar, or whatever you’re using it with, won’t send
display information back to the keyboard in response to your button presses,
rotary movements, etc.). The process is simple enough:

1 – Within SurfaceReader, create a new protocol. You need to lie to it when
defining the MIDI ports for display monitoring on the first page of the wizard
(I may refine this bit at som time in the future);

2 – Keep pressing the Next button until you get to the Hardware Controls page;

3 – Use the MIDI Learn feature to teach SurfaceReader what messages your
keyboard generates (remember that these messages will almost certainly change
if you change preset on the device itself, but you could actually create a new
protocol for each preset);

4 – Once you’re done, use the Finish button to close the wizard and save your
protocol definition;

5 – Create a new application configuration and name it for the DAW you’re using
(e.g. “Sonar);

6 – In the first page of the Application Configuration wizard, add an action to
each of the controls you’ve defined by expanding it and following it down
through the Jaws and Live Mode branches of the tree. When the list of available
actions comes up, choose “MIDI Info”;

7 – Optionally, if you know what parameters each button/knob/fader is
controlling, you could rename the controls to reflect their purpose;

8 - Once you’ve defined a MIDI Info action for each control and performed any
renaming, Tab to the Next button and press Enter;

9 – Tab to the Finish button and press Enter;

10 – Go to the Surfaces menu and choose Load App Config, then choose the
configuration you’ve just defined.

You should now hear MIDI values announced when you adjust the physical
controls.  The MIDI Info action type hasn’t had much testing, so please report
any issues/suggestions on-list so that I can correct/improve the feedback.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess