[visurfacereader] Re: Bcf2000 with pro tools

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <visurfacereader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 08:50:23 +0100

Hi Ramy,

When you use the BCF2000 in Sonar, you put the unit into Mackie Control
emulation mode first – this tells the unit to send particular MIDI messages
when you press buttons, move faders, etc.. It also tells the unit to accept
specific MIDI messages from any program configured to use Mackie Control
protocol (Sonar, in this case).

However, Pro Tools doesn’t support the use of the Mackie Control protocol, so
your BCF2000 won’t communicate with it until you set the unit up to use a
protocol (i.e. set of MIDI messages) that Pro Tools does support, so you need
to set the BCF2000 up to use the HUI protocol. How to do this is covered in the
SurfaceReader on-line documentation’s Basic Configuration section (F1 when
you’re in SurfaceReader). I have a known performance/reliability issue when
using Pro Tools on either Windows or the Mac, so please bear with me until I
get the next public beta out to everybody and we’ll see if I’ve fixed it.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess