[visurfacereader] AlphaTrack protocol definition (partial)

  • From: "Tim Burgess" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "VI SurfaceReader VI SurfaceReader" <visurfacereader@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 16:01:10 +0100

Hi Scott,

Please find attached a starting point for the AlphaTrack. I've defined all
of the display elements (LCD and LED) and the foot switch. I haven't defined
any of the buttons, the fader, or the V-Pots, as I want to get you to try
and add these items using SurfaceReader's MIDI Learn feature (this will be
useful testing and a bit of user training for you).

I've found 2 bugs whilst getting this far:

1 - When defining a MIDI note message, the buttons and read-only edit field
for nibble-based messages are displayed (I just need to disable these in
this case, which is trivial);

2 - Adding LED state definitions doesn't update the list box or the protocol
file itself. I thought I'd fixed this previously, so working it through with
you will reveal if your earlier version has the same issue.

How are you fixed for a Monday session? Any particularly good/bad times? The
only preparation I'd like you to do is to save this attachment to your
protocol folder and set up your AlphaTrack in Reaper so that you can
validate that it works (don't worry about SurfaceReader virtual ports at
this point, just set the MIDI I/O to the ports that the hardware provides).

BTW, does the AlphaTrack communicate wirelessly with the computer like the
Tranzport, or is it a wired USB connection?

Best wishes.
Tim Burgess